Two weeks ago, a foot of snow fell in St. Louis. Like most, I stocked up on bread, milk, and eggs to make sure I would survive any forced shut-in time. I also made sure I had a project to work in order to avoid catching cabin fever.
A while back, I bought this trunk at Steve’s Antiques in Alton, IL for about $10 to use as a worm bin.
I painted the thing to match the room in which I would store the worm bin. However I soon had to admit that unless one has more than 10 people in one’s family, nobody needs a worm bin this freaking big. All the literature I read about vermicomposting indicated as much, but sometimes it is hard for me to let go of a default bigger-is-better mentality. But I digress. . . The industrial sized worm trunk had to go.
As the snow fell, I cleaned the box thoroughly of all remaining worm debris and removed layers of paint and wallpaper.
Then, I sanded and sanded and sanded and sanded. I finished my sanded trunk with a DIY beeswax/olive oil finish and added a few casters.
Behold! Storage space born out of the harsh winter blizzard of 2014!